Review Of XXLP2 ICS Leak For SGS2

Posted by Ada S. On Sunday, January 15, 2012 5 comments
January 14, 2012 - SamMobile released another ICS firmware for Samsung Galaxy S2 19100. The latest version is 19100XXLP2.


Just a day before the release of XXLP2, SamMobile also released XXLP1. Take note that both firmware versions are on Alpha phase which means that they're unstable and could have a lot of bugs. Because XXLP2 is said to be more stable, I tested it on my phone for an hour. I think that's enough to test if a ROM is worth keeping.


(How To Install & Root XXLP2 On Your SGS2)


Here are the bugs I noticed:

  • Update: The wallpaper lags when switching pages on Home Screen.
  • 2 random reboot in a total of 16 hours.
  • First time you download an app via the Market, there might be an error. Reset your phone and you shouldn't have any trouble downloading after that.
  • Contacts force closed during installation of applications (first few minutes after installing XXLP2 on phone). Update: After more hours of testing, I noticed that there are times when Contacts force closes during use. If you relaunch it, just shows a black screen. Also, there was this one time that my Google contacts disappeared. I had to reboot phone (since contacts force closed) and sync Google contacts again.
  • Sometimes, music gets distorted when playing on loudspeaker. There's this loud buzzing sound.
  • 2D games like Tiny Tower work smoothly. But 3D games lag a bit.
  • The service (phone signal) gets f*cked up when you turn the phone on while charging. It disappears. To avoid this remove charger when turning on phone or just remove charger while the phone is turned on and the phone signal will be back.
Features and what works (you can also see images at bottom of post):
  • Camera and video capture.
  • Video playback.
  • WiFi and 3G connectivity
  • Sensor
  • There is a task manager button at recent apps view (when long-pressing home button)
  • Music on headset. No distortion.
  • No problem uploading photos on Picasa. Hence, the screenshots below :)
  • Internet browser works well.
  • Market loads much faster than in my XWKK2. (Same market version)
  • Apps for Honeycomb now compatible with phone (like Antipaper Notes)
  • New messenger notification on lockscreen.
  • New interface for incoming calls. Everything works well for calls.
ICS Features Integrated:
  • Facelock works very well.
  • Swipe to remove notifications individually.
  • Holding down menu button takes you to recent apps and task manager.
  • ICS Holo theme seen throughout the UI.
If you want to install XXLP2 on your phone and root it (yes, it has root thanks to Chainfire), read this.

Now if you don't like TouchWiz, I suggest you download CM9 instead. There is an alpha version here by Codeworkx which works great as a daily ROM. Bugs I recall include:
  • Sensors not working properly. I turn this way and it goes the other way.
  • Facelock not working, even if you install Facelock.zip
  • Poor battery life. Drains 50% faster than my original XXKP1 firmware.
  • Sometimes, messages fail to send. You need to restart phone.
  • You can't play videos.
Some guy posted this beta phase of CM9 on an XDA thread as well but it is not from codeworkx and his team. I have yet to try it out. Based on the comments, it a modified version of CM9 and that it's smoother.


Screenshots of XXLP2 below. Click for full view.


Press menu button on home screen

Holo theme. Yummy :)

Long press power button

Recent apps view upon long press of home button.
Notice the Task Manager button.


Facelock works.

Swipe to remove notifications individually.

Press menu button on apps drawer.
Notifications bar when playing music.
Message notification on lockscreen.

5 comments:

  1. I updated my sg2 last week that said firmware 4.0.3 but now more bugs like signal, camera slow, Bluetooth hang, browser force your sg2 to auto restart itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Anjo. I didn't try bluetooth personally but my camera did okay. I also didn't have trouble with the browser. Anyway, this is just an alpha build so you can't expect it to be super smooth. Based on functionality however, this is the smoothest by far. The alpha build of CM9 has more bugs in my opinion. Bookmark my blog because I'll be one of the first to download and try stable releases by Sammobile and the CM9 team from XDA :) I keep close watch of their threads and latest updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome guys! Don't forget to follow me on Twitter and tweet me :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something?