SGS2 ROM Review: Pure ICS v7.5 [XWLPG]

Posted by Ada S. On Monday, July 02, 2012 8 comments


Pure ICS is a custom ROM that brings an Ice Cream Sandwich experience on top of a Samsung-based firmware. Here I'm going to review the standard "light" version which only includes few stock Samsung apps. But there is also an AOSP package if you don't mind having stock Samsung apps aka "bloatware".


Version reviewed in this post: Pure ICS v7.5 (XWLPG)


Build date: 06-16-2012


Developer: Spike_M of XDA Forums

PROS

  • What works: WiFi, Data, Bluetooth, Camera, Video Recording, GPS
  • Fully-themed even though it is Samsung-based!
  • Apex Launcher allows further customization of UI
  • Has FM Radio, Voice Recorder, CWM, and SuperUser SU
  • Good battery life. Mine lasted more than 24 hours with some WiFi, calls, texting, and mostly on standby.

CONS

  • Bugs: On the Gmail app, there was this one time that emails would go blank if you attempt to scroll to view the entire message. Again this only happened once after 7 days of use :)
  • The ROM has stopped development - so I've heard :(

PREVIEW

For a 5-minute video walkthrough of Pure ICS, please check the bottom of this post :)

Lockscreen


Since this is a Sammy-based ROM, you can choose from the standard Slide, Face Unlock, Pattern, PIN, and Password lockscreen. You can access the Notifications Drawer from the Slide lockscreen.

Home Screen and Dock


Since Pure ICS has an Apex Launcher, you can control the number of docks (max 5), number of dock icons (max 7), and elastic scrolling just to name a few. You can even hide the dock completely! As for the home screen, you can control the number of screens (max 9), choose the default screen, resize widgets, among many other functions. To access the customization settings for the home screen and dock, simply go to Apex Settings > Homescreen settings or Dock settings.

Status Bar and Notifications Drawer


The status bar is Holo-themed which means that the time, battery, phone signal, and WiFi have a light blue color on black background. The screen brightness can also be adjusted from the status bar by holding and sliding your finger across. You can't customize the notifications drawer but there's really no need to. A lot of useful toggles are already on there. All you have to do is swipe across them.

There's are toggles for the standard WiFi, Mobile Data, Bluetooth, and GPS along with Sound Profiles, Autorotate Screen, Airplane Mode, Auto brightness, Screen On, Hotspot, Sync, Flashlight, Reboot, Recovery, Download Mode, and Shutdown. Most toggles act as shortcuts to their individual settings. But you can access all Settings by clicking the Settings Icon below the toggles.

Recent Apps View


As you can see, you can access the Task Manager from here - something I really like about Samsung-based ROMs.

Apps Drawer


There's still some bloatware on the standard edition of Pure ICS but they're mostly useful apps. If you want all Samsung apps, you can install the AOSP version of Pure ICS. The stock Samsung apps installed in the standard version I reviewed are as follows: Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Contacts, Downloads, Email, FM Radio, Gallery, Internet, Memo, My Files, Phone Dialer, Photo Editor, Task, Task Manager, Videos, and Voice Recorder.

Messaging, Contacts, and Phone Dialer

First off, the annoying yellow-blue-and-gray theme of the Messaging app is long gone. Spike_M managed to make it gray-and-black which I personally like better than the blue-on-white theme of stock ICS. The same theme is used on Contacts and Phone Dialer.




Gallery


Pure ICS has the stock Samsung Gallery since it is a Sammy-based ROM. Sorry but I just don't like it.

Internet Browser


The ROM also has a stock Internet browser which I actually like. It automatically signs you in to your Google account and syncs bookmarks from your Google Chrome for PC.

Camera

Other Pre-Installed Apps

  • CWM Manager - for backing up, restoring, and deleting backups, reboot options, installing APKs, flashing kernels, and flashing stock firmware.
  • SuperSU - grants root access

VIDEO WALKTHROUGH

Here's a 5-minute walkthrough of Pure ICS. I'm sorry if you hear some trucks or cars passing by :D Our house is right in front of the highway and we have this *antique* home made entirely of wood so sound easily gets through. I'm thinking about looking for a pair of headsets that eliminate background noise :) Not sure if they even exist lol.



8 comments:

  1. Nice walktrough... Seems like a fast rom, but i think im tired of ICS looks. Still an option for who ever likes it.

    Too bad that they stop the development. There are a lot of developers abandon the SG2 platform moving to SG3, One S and other devices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kikemotions: I agree. I am thinking about getting an S3 already just to keep up this blog. However it would be impractical and take months for me to save :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ada! First of all thanks a lot for this nice review! I liked the video walkthrough, especially hearing your voice :)

    But where have you read that Pure ICS development has stopped? I can't find any hints on the XDA thread.

    However, if you like Pure ICS, you might want to check out Thebyani Rom. It's very similar, if not a bit better: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1482574 It also has the Siyah Kernel built right into it, comes with ICS Domination Theme and JKay Mod. I'm using it for some weeks now and found it to be very stable and battery friendly. A new version should be released shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Veit: Okay. Sorry for being geeky but the first thing I remembered with your name was Veidt from Watchmen LOL :D Anyway, it was a friend who told me. I read the thread and like you, never found hints that development has stopped. However I also noticed that the last update was still weeks ago (at the time I checked) so that pretty much gave the idea that *maybe* development has in fact stopped. Anyway, it's okay because I think this ROM is clean enough and didn't need much improvements. Ah Thebyani ROM. I thought about trying it before but I have to skip custom ROMs for this week :) But I will consider it for future reviews! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, let's see when I get my chance to save the world :) Until then, I'm happy with the current Thebyani release. Maybe I'll switch back to Pure ICS when the Sammy 4.0.4 version is out (yes, that's Spike's plan). Or I stay with Thebyani - whatever comes first as 4.0.4. Other options are going back to CM9's next RC, or CM10, based on JB, if they manage to make it suitable for daily use. Or maybe you find a new gem and convince me to switch in your next review :) I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Veit: It's funny don't you think? The RC of CM9 just came out months ago. And now CM10 (JB) is here :D Sadly, I'm going to skip installing SGS2 ROMs for the next couple of weeks though. I am exploring kernels now. I want to try something new :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems that development hasn't stopped after all :D Pure ICS version 7.6

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Gabi: Oh!!! That's good to hear. I will update my post. THANKS FOR THE INFO AND LINK!!! :-*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something?