How To Use ODIN For Flashing ROMs On Android

Posted by Ada S. On Monday, January 23, 2012 6 comments
ODIN is a computer software that lets you flash custom or leaked original firmwares and kernels on your Android smartphone. I use v1.85 but v.1.7 will do. Today, I'm going to teach you how to flash a ROM on your phone with ODIN.


Before Flashing A ROM via ODIN
  1. First, download the latest version of ODIN you can find. You can download ODIN here.
  2. Install ODIN on your computer.
  3. Make sure that your phone's drivers are installed in your computer. If you connect your phone to the computer (and it doesn't have drivers), your computer will find and install them for you. Happened to all my Samsung Galaxy devices and my sister's Sony Ericsson Mini Pro.
  4. Turn on USB Debugging Mode in your phone by going to Settings > Applications > Development > check USB debugging.
  5. Make sure that your battery is fully charged or at least 50% charged.
Flashing A ROM via ODIN
  1. Launch ODIN on your computer. Just allow it if your computer asks for permission. Mine does every time.
  2. Unzip the ROM you downloaded (usually a .rar file). It might contain 3 .md5 files, just 1 .md5 file and sometimes, an additional .pit file.
  3. Golden rule: Don't mess with the presets ever. Example, if re-partition is unticked, DO NOT TICK IT. The only time it gets ticked is when you upload a .pit file on the PIT box. If it does, leave it that way. ODIN TICKED IT FOR A REASON. Let ODIN do its job.
  4. See bottom of post for guide on where to place files on ODIN.
  5. Connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable. The box on the upper left corner of ODIN should turn yellow and the message "Added!" should be on display.
  6. Click "Start" and wait for the box on the upper left to turn green and say "PASS!"
  7. Your phone should auto-reboot after that and presto, you now have a squeaky new ROM to play with :)
Where To Place Files On ODIN
    • .pit file ---> PIT box
    • If there is just one .md5 file, no matter the label place on ---> PDA box
    • If there are three .md5 files:
      • file containing "CODE" ---> PDA box
      • file containing "MODEM" ---> Phone box
      • file containing "CSC" ---> CSC box

6 comments:

  1. I have a Ti phone evolution A500 with qualcom snapdragon processor. Immediately after purchase It stopped idetifying SIM in first slot. I have tried to contact Telkomsel by mail, registration, recharge but to no joy.

    Then I took the phone to various service center who were unable to do anything. Finally as a last resort I started my researched in which major credit goes to Androidadvices.com who have provided help by means of its article sufficed to provide me clues. Now I have rooted the phone desipite numerous failures I have entered into recovery mode and trying to update to version 2.3.6. with ODIN3 ver 1.85.

    Please revert in case you can help and if any other info required from me. else I m trying myself.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ajay: Yes you can revert to stock firmware version to remove root. You need to enter Download Mode and not Recovery Mode to flash via ODIN3 :) Not sure if your phone has a Download Mode but the SGS2 has one. Installing stock firmware BREAKS root so that's the best thing to do. You need to read on how it is specifically done for your phone. Sorry if I can't be much any help :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ada,
    My phone does have a download mode using Vol -ve + Home (without battery) connect to PC through USB.However in this process I have lost my stock ROM backup.If you can give some link or advice to download complete ROM, I have tried few ROMs but the it does not display the recovery console as discussed in different forums. Using ADB /fastboot works.

    It will be highly appreciable if you recommend some compatible ROM.

    Thanks a lot as you are the only one who has at lease replied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ajay: You're welcome :-) Oh that's very unfortunate! That happened to me too. Can you look up this link?

    http://androidfirmwares.net/

    This is where I download ROMs for my SGS2 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks A Lot,
    Hope this phone of mine develope me into a developer, with so much help full people like you. Thx a lot ADA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. Let me know when you become a developer Ajay! I'd be happy to check out your apps/ROMs ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something?