UPDATED: Bug fixes for Contacts and Phone Dialer included as suggested by @musafir84. Thanks Musafir! Don't forget to check out his website, Techie Ideas!

Foxhound ROM is a custom ROM for SGS2. The version reviewed on this post is based on the latest official ICS firmware available for SGS2, 4.0.3 XWLPF no-wipe.


Version reviewed in this post: Ocelot Revolver


Developer: rafaele88 of XDA Forums


Image source: Original XDA Thread

PROS

  • What worked: WiFi, Data, Bluetooth, Camera, and Video Recording
  • Screen sensitivity to touch is good
  • More than 5 toggles on Notifications Drawer
  • Stock ICS Apps Drawer.
  • Stock ICS Gallery included. I like it better than Sammy's Gallery.
  • Underclock/overclock CPU up to 1.6GHz plus more using ExtTweaks app.
  • Good batter life. Mine lasted almost 16 hours on low light and occasional WiFi.
  • Clockworkmod Recovery Touch comes preloaded. It's super fun!
  • Custom installation process**
** The installation process on Foxhound ROM is fully customized. You can choose from the settings listed below. Settings in ITALICS were my personal options and the only ones covered in this review. You can choose whichever you like :)

Installation Mode
  • Default Installation - Recommended.
  • Light Installation - Only basic apps are installed.
  • CUSTOM INSTALLATION - SELECT THE APPS YOU WANT TO INSTALL.
Kernel Installation
  • Abyss Kernel
  • SIYAH KERNEL
  • N.E.A.K. Kernel
  • Speedmod Kernel
  • Phenomenal Kernel
Modem Installation
  • LPS
  • LPR
Themes
  • STOCK GS3
  • ICS Domination
Launchers
  • APEX LAUNCHER
  • TouchWiz GS3 Launcher
  • Nova Launcher

CONS

  • Bugs:
    • Phone Dialer (rare) - FIX: Go to System Settings > Applications > All > 
    • Slide lockscreen (sometimes) - doesn't respond to touch. FIX: Press the Menu button or turn off display then turn back on. 
    • Contacts (always) - just a black screen most of the time. FIX: Go to System Settings > Applications > All > Clear Data. Then go to Contacts Storage and select "Clear Data" as well (as suggested by @musafir84). Launch Contacts and sync Google contacts. It should work fine now :)
    • Task Manager (always) - when ending a task, it doesn't reflect on the task manager right away.
  • Stock Notifications Drawer theme. I hate it.
  • SuperSU is not pre-installed
  • When you install Titanium Backup, you might bump into Root Access problems. FIX: Download SuperSU from Google Play and reboot your phone. After reboot, launch Titanium Backup. If you still bump into problems, give it some time and launch the app again or reboot once more. 
  • For the most part, it's no different from custom ROMs based on stock Sammy firmware, save for the really cool custom installation (and easy-to-do) setup that comes after you install it :) 

PREVIEW

For a video walkthrough, please see bottom of this post :) I attached the 3-minute YouTube video I created.


Home Screen and Dock


I installed the Apex Launcher so it supports resizable widgets, a scroll-able dock, drawer animation, and several more perks. Go explore it yourself :)

Lockscreen



You can choose from Slide Lockscreen, Face Unlock, Pattern, PIN, and Password. Face Unlock works perfectly.

Status Bar and Notifications Drawer



As mentioned previously, there are more than 5 toggles. Just swipe to the right to find all of them. I find Flashlight and Screen On toggles most useful.

Task Manager and Recent Apps View


 

Okay. The Task Manager does kill apps when you press "Exit" or "End" but it doesn't show right away. You have to relaunch Task Manager to see them gone -__-

Apps Drawer



It has the stock ICS Apps Drawer which I really like. Stock Sammy apps look different. I think it's the SGS3 theming. Nonetheless, I love the new icons!

Messaging, Contacts, and Phone Dialer






They're all stock Sammy. Sometimes, the Phone Dialer locks up and force closes. Contacts never load. Ever. 

Camera



Nothing new here. Sorry. Got too lazy to switch it to Landscape Mode :D


Gallery





You can choose from stock Sammy Gallery or the stock ICS Gallery. I prefer the ICS Gallery better.

Internet Browser



The browser will log you into your Google account. If you have bookmarks synced on your Google Chrome for PC, they'll show up on the stock Sammy browser. You can also save bookmarks on your phone and access them on your PC later. This is one of my fave ICS features.

Other Pre-Installed Apps


  • Apollo Music Player - ICS-themed music player.
  • App Backup & Restore - Backup and restore apps
  • AppZorter Lite - Requires TouchWiz so I never got to test it.
  • ExTweaks - Underclock/Overclock CPU, control GPU steps, activate BLN and others. Gives you full control of your phone!
  • File Explorer - ICS themed. Don't really like it :(
  • MrMad.net - Dunno what it's for LOL.
  • Mi File Explorer - Sorts your files according to format. Really nifty for .apk installations.
  • Voodoo Sound - Extended sound controls. Doesn't work on Siyah Kernel.

Video Walkthrough

Here's a 3-minute video walkthrough I prepared for you guys. I hope you like it! 



For the installation guide, please check the original XDA thread.

6 comments:

  1. like the video review. the music was nice.
    i do not like the ROM so much, or at least it not different from a bunch of ROMS out there and there are others with better apps and less buggys.

    im trying now a new one MIUI flavor rom Called cMIUI

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1704387 check it out. it a good combination of MIUI, Cianogenmod 9 and Fluxi's xxKernel, it works also with Siyah Kernel.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1704387

    it developed by Chilzzz and its his second versiĆ³n. i think he is doing a good job with this port. ahh and MIUI themes works like charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also tried this ROM was not sure what I gained other than the ability to use some ICS only apps. What I lost was PDroid and a whole bunch of functionality.

    using VillianRom with Ikki kernel, LPS Modem, GOLauncherEX .

    Small but key features I miss which keep me from using AOKP/CM. Stock Calendar (Black Background) much easier to see stuff for me. Smart Alarm love the soothing morning wake up. Task Manager.
    Hate the stock selector/clipboard impossible to select text in some Apps such as K-9 mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kikemotions: thanks for taking the time to read my blog :) cMIUI. That's realy interesting. I love MIUI it looks really clean and professional. I'll add it on my list! I still have F1 ROM and Pure ICS in my must-try list :-O So after them, cMIUI is next. Thanks for the tip! Wrote it down on evernote.

    Also, you have a great point! I missed writing that in my review. It isn't any much different compared to many ROMs out there. I was actually thinking of that so thanks a lot for reminding me! I'll update my post and include that in the "CONS". I think this ROM does have a great advantage in matters of custom installation though. Getting to choose which kernel, modem, and launcher to use is really neat. I have *heard* that previous versions are stable compared to Ocelot but I have to move on to the next updated ROM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The phone dialer and contacts bug can be easily fixed by clearing the data for the same from Settings - > Applications :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! Thanks so much for the fix and suggestions btw! Will update my blog in a while (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous: I'm so sorry for the late reply your comment went to the spam box! THANKS FOR READING AND SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS ON MY BLOG :) I haven't tried VillainROM yet. Maybe I'll give it a try in the future. Experimenting with kernels is something I haven't done yet. I will begin this week though if things go as planned :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something?