My Hunt For A Stable & Official ICS ROM For SGS2 May Be Over

Posted by Ada S. On Saturday, March 24, 2012 6 comments


If I mislead you with the post titled How To Install XXLPQ ICS On Your SGS2 - NOT!, I'm not going to apologize. There was no better way to catch your attention and truthfully, I don't want you to install that ROM after encountering a lot of bugs in it. I tested a different version of ICS for SGS2, namely DXLP7. Now, a full day after using it, I would like to share that it has far less bugs than XXLPQ. My hunt for a stable and official ICS ROM for SGS2 may be over.


Update as of 03/24/2012: Please check this post for reviews on XXLPQ, DXLP7, and other official ICS ROMs for SGS2.






The three problems I encountered with non-rooted DXLP7 include:
  • Slow wakeup time after being on standby for minutes to hours. The phone takes 3 seconds to light up after pressing the menu or power button during sleep.
  • The same "Save page for offline reading" bug in XXLPQ which doesn't let you save web pages for online reading.
  • Update: WiFi doesn't connect sometimes. Fix: While it is turned on (but not connecting), long press the power button and switch to airplane mode. Then, switch it off. The internet should connect right away :-)
Screen sensitivity to touch is also better with DXLP7 which means that with a little flick of your finger, the screen automatically responds.

Given all these circumstances, there's no reason why I should keep you from installing DXLP7. Here's an installation guide for DXLP7
Let me remind you that DXLP7 is an Asian release of ICS for SGS2 and was meant for the following regions:
  • Taiwan
  • Hong Kong
  • Indonesia
  • Nepal
  • Sri Lanka
  • Philippines
If you belong to any of these countries, you can download this ROM :-) Then again, anyone can install this ROM if you're not so much of a control freak.

6 comments:

  1. upon reading this ..i decided not to upgrade to dxlp7..thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mention it :-) Glad I was able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was wondering. with all the commotion, i see there's an update for the sgs2 software, the 4.0.3 ice cream sandwich
    i tried to update my phone using OTA. it says there's no update. then i just found out, i have this baseband version, I9100XXk14, hope you can help me. :((

    ReplyDelete
  4. nahhhh...preparing to flash the dxlp7 ics..^_^..haha,,dont mind my previous comment...but tnx though..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dxlp7 can i asked if its better to root this or not. And if i rooted this is ther any bugs incounter and were i can download root for dxlp7. Ty

    ReplyDelete
  6. @zedafrolics: I'm so sorry for the super late reply. your comment went to my spam box and I didn't see until now. Any luck on updating your firmware to ICS now?

    @santino: I'm sorry for the late reply. As I told @zedafrolics, your comment went to my spam box. Here is a post on the advantages/disadvantages of root to help you decide: http://www.shetalksandroid.com/2012/01/should-i-root-my-android-phone-or.html


    Also, here is a post I made on CF-Root for SGS2. You can download CF-Root for DXLP7 in that post :) http://www.shetalksandroid.com/2012/06/how-to-root-your-sgs2-with-cf-root-ics.html ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something?