Review Of Westcrip's Resurrection ICS Remix ROM v9.0 Ultimate

Posted by Ada S. On Thursday, February 09, 2012 5 comments


If you fancy the idea of CM9 + Touchwiz, this is the ROM for you.


No Touchwiz here though.


Just the clean Ice Cream Sandwich interface. Only Samsung's functionality is added into the Resurrection ICS Remix ROM v9.0 Ultimate by @westcrip.


I have to be honest. Seconds after rebooting the phone I got confused with the language used. It's not English and when you type with the keyboard, letters are all wrong. I kept pressing 'A' but the letter 'S' kept showing up on the screen. Once you get past that however, you can change the language to English and be able to set your Google Account from there. All this will take place before you will be taken to the homescreen.


Pros & What Works

  • What works: WiFi, 3G, bluetooth, face unlock, camera, video capture and playback (even YouTube), messages, calls, music player, loudspeaker, autorotate, pretty much everything.
  • Most stable ICS ROM I've tried. No force closes, phone heating up, or freezing.
  • No random reboots.
  • Battery drain is average - the typical Android which easily drains when you stay on the internet for too long, enjoy playing games, and text or call a lot.
  • Power button gives access to: Volume mode, data connection, flight mode, power off, and restart.
  • Choose between two launchers: Trebuchet (as used in CM9) and Nova Launcher.
  • Stock Samsung apps are present - AllShare, Calculator, Gallery, Mini Diary, My Files, Music Player, News & Weather, Polaris Office, Task Manager, etc. (see screenshots below)
  • You have two apps each for Gallery, Music Player, and Internet Browser - which I think is an advantage. You can choose to use stock Samsung apps off these two or their Google ICS counterparts. (see screenshots below)
  • Revamped notifications bar. Now gives access to: Data, Flashlight, and WiFi Hotspot along with WiFi, Data, Bluetooth, and GPS.
  • In homescreen, place apps on top of each other to group them in a folder (the similar way it is done with iOS). Folders can be renamed too.
  • ICS apps drawer.
  • Both music players give access to controls from notifications bar. However, Samsung Music Player has an advantage - music controls also appear on lockscreen just like in the XXLPB leak released by Sammobile :)
  • 3D games run smoothly. Never encountered any lags or freezing.
  • There's a pre-installed mp3 downloading app :D It works and it's fast too!

Cons & Bugs
  • No access to settings from notifications bar (like in CM9)
  • While using the flashlight for a few seconds, your phone will turn off.
  • Reboot option from power button doesn't work. Your phone just turns off.
Verdict

Westcrip's Resurrection ICS Remix ROM v9.0 is by far the most stable ROM I've tried with an ICS build. Because the most recent ICS leaks for SGS2 are still buggy and unstable, Westcrip managed to cover up their flaws by incorporating Samsung's functionality into his ROM. It's definitely a keeper.

For installation guides and downloads, please refer to the original XDA thread until I am able to come up with my own installation guide :) Don't forget to donate to him!

Screenshots

























5 comments:

  1. Please post an installation guide, di kasi noob-friendly ang guide sa XDA. :(

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I agree. Hindi nga noob-friendly ang XDA. Give me an hour tops and I'll have it ready for you.

    Please feel free to follow me on Twitter so we can connect there :) Saka isa lang favor ko, click as many ads as you can with each visit to my blog. HAHA ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. a new update for resurrection rom is out v1.1 professional. do check it out. i came upon your site by mere coincidence but i'm glad i found it \m/

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous: Hehe I'm just as glad you found my site :-) Yeah. I am aware it has been up for a few weeks already. v1. I haven't gotten the time to review it because I made a review of Hydrog3nics and (soon) Adyscorpius MIUI to see how far it has gone in weeks. Please, do follow me on Twitter we can be friends there. I interact with my followers a lot whenever I'm free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ada S, i just flashed v1.1 and its awesome. I'm not a twitter fan. I am the anonymous you are referring to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something?