My Failed Attempt To Install Hydroxyg3nmod By Paradoxxx

Posted by Ada S. On Monday, March 12, 2012 No comments


Yesterday, I tried installing Hydroxyg3nmod by Paradoxxx and stupidly mistook it for his Hydrog3nics ROM (which I will review later). Hydroxyg3nmod is a Gingerbread-based ROM which seemed to get a lot of attention from people. The first time I got it to work, I instantly fell in love with it. Until it kept rebooting :-(


The story.


Coming from XWLA4 (original Sammy firmware) on Siyah Kernel 2.6.13, I went to Siyah Recovery and did a full wipe. That includes cache, dalvik cache, factory reset, battery stats, and the big daddy of 'em all - SYSTEM. Formatting the system basically rids all traces of your previous ROM, leaving your phone "ROM-less". I then flashed Hydroxyg3nmod v4 from this thread. After rebooting, my phone kept rebooting and never got past boot image.


The fix - well, sort of.


Now comes the weird part. So my phone's stuck on reboot, right? I turned it off, flashed CF Root via ODIN. What ODIN does is force your phone to reboot after flashing a kernel. My phone did just that. After rebooting, the screen went black for a while but when I pressed the menu button after a few seconds, I was prompted to start setting up my phone.


Why I liked Hydroxyg3nmod.


What caught my attention was its beautiful display. Hydroxyg3nmod is one of the most visually appealing ROMs I've tried. I'm not sure if you've noticed this but there are a few ROMs that make the SGS2's display more vivid than usual. You can see it from the wallpaper and by viewing photos in your gallery.


In addition to vivid display, Hydroyxg3nmod also has a minimalist theme. The status bar icons are white and if you check settings, you'll notice that the phone utilizes Helvetica Neue in white as its default font. As if that's not enough, Paradoxxx replaced the fugly stock Android keyboard with HTC's. HTC keyboard is beautiful and better for typing.


The story continues.


After admiring its beautiful interface, I decided to set up my Google account by turning the Wi-Fi on. After that, my phone turned off and kept on rebooting. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the kernel I flashed.


My attempts to fix the issue include:
  • Turn off Wi-Fi. The phone just reboots and Wi-Fi turns itself on again even though it's doesn't connect after that.
  • Doesn't detect Wi-Fi connections. I tried to add manually but was faced with the same reboot issue.
  • Flashed different Gingerbread kernels. Even tried Siyah Kernel.
Also, the "Preparing SD card" is stuck on the notifications drawer. Unmounting and mounting SD card fixes it but only temporarily.

So yeah, I can't make a review of Hydroxyg3nmod as I hoped. Since it's still on Gingerbread, I've decided to move on and try Hydrog3nics instead, an ICS-based ROM also by Paradoxxx. I'll try to make a review of it in the next couple of days :-) I'll have to compare it to CM9 from which it was based from.

If you guys know how to fix the Wi-Fi problem I'm encountering with Hydrog3nmod, I'll appreciate it. And I'll review this ROM and make an installation guide along with the fix that works ;-)

Here are a few screenshots of Hydroxyg3nmod so you'd understand why I tried to make it work.










0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something?